Saturday, January 31, 2009

Posts From A Melting Ice Cave

I was a prisoner in my own home this week as sleet, freezing rain and the occasional snow flake inundated my town. I love those days because they are a throwback to childhood. They are bonus days which are unexpected and unplanned. Those are the days that Mother Nature dictates the schedule and the world is along for the ride. I check the weather religiously and usually know what the next few days hold, but I got busy early last week and forgot to follow my pattern. As a result, I was really surprised on Monday when the first rumblings of the storm headed my way. I went home Monday night and didn't come back to the office until Thursday morning. I thought I took home plenty of work to keep me busy through two days of exile. I was wrong. By Tuesday afternoon, I completed all of the work I’d brought home and boredom began to set in. Karla was sick for three days last week and spent most of it in a Nyquil induced coma, I was left to fend for myself. Here is a sampling of what I did to pass the time.

1.) Moved furniture for no particular reason.

2.) Reprogrammed my voice recognition system to follow my elmer fudd voice. Example “Go to sweep wittle computer; hahahaha.

3.) Spent an hour reading about “twitter” and its place in the business world. As a side note, I still don’t get it and I refuse to use anything with the word “twit” so prominently featured in the name of the product. Furthermore, I refuse to “tweet” anything, I am a man, not a small bird you idiots.

4.) Watched about 100 episodes of “The Office” and learned that “FNC double time” means front and center, twice as fast as you would normally go.

5.) Listened to Karla snore.

6.) Learned that when I snore, Karla finds it acceptable to hit me in the face, while I sleep.

7.) Danced to the disco music from “Car Wash”.

8.) Watched OU beat OSU, the Thunder beat the Memphis Grizzlies and Nebraska beat Kansas.

9.) Ordered tickets to the OU/Texas A&M game next week.

10.) Yahooed with Brother Mark.

11.) Listened to Karla snore some more.

12.) Wrote another chapter of the book.

13.) Learned that I don’t make coco or oatmeal to Karla’s satisfaction.

14.) Broke dishes.

15.) Learned that a house is really empty without a dog.

16.) Drank beer

17.) Woke up a snoring Karla, who responded by hitting me in the face. I responded as any battered husband would and bonded her out of jail. (Heh, just kidding).

The sun is out today and this ice is nearly gone. It will be 70 degrees tomorrow and my winter days will be another memory that I'll press in an album along with the pictures. Spring is just around the corner here in Oklahoma, but it was nice to have a few days of real winter weather. I’m always happy to give mother nature a few days of control, even at the expense of my sanity.

Trialdawg.

No comments: