Monday, February 16, 2009

Ruminations on President's Day

Why do we celebrate President’s Day? I suppose it is to honor all the men who have held the job. I looked earnestly for a parade or rally of some sort, but to no avail. I was always under the impression that if you had a day off, you were obligated to attend a parade. I found no parade or rally to attend, so I am going to do the next best thing. I am going to dress up as my favorite president and parade around my own home. I have always liked William Henry Harrison because I think he did a lot for the presidency. He gave the longest inaugural address in history, in a cold rain and died a month later from pneumonia. All Presidents following him learned two simple rules for inaugural protocol. Keep it short and put a damned coat on. Who knows how many Presidential lives he saved by his selfless acts. So today, I will don a shirt and tie, sans coat and hat and cough a lot. I will ramble incessantly about the Whig party and what a failure Van Buren was and when my wife complains, I will remind her that upon my death, she will receive $25,000.00 cash and free postage for life.

Happy Presidents Day.

Trialdawg

No comments: