Friday, August 29, 2008

"For The Last Time......

The District Court Is Now In Session with the Honorable John David Miller Presiding." Those were the words I heard today as I watched a man that I respect and admire take the bench for the last time. We don't just need more Judges like Judge Miller, we need more people like him too. A man who I've never heard utter a cross or vulgar word. A man that is fair to a fault, who tempered his justice with mercy and a man who, whether I agreed with his decisions or not, issued them based on common sense and sound legal reasoning. He retired today with over 25 years of judicial prowess behind him. I am proud to have been the final lawyer to appear before him, and was equally proud to have spent an hour with him, alone in his empty office before his retirement party this evening. We talked about everything from the law, to life and finally, friendship. I am a better lawyer because of him, and a infinitely better human being as I try my best to follow his example. I am proud that I appeared before him so often, but I am even more proud to call him a friend.

Happy Labor Day Everybody!

Trialdawg.

No comments: