Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summer Break!

As a boy, I looked forward each year to the extravagance of summer. I would sit in class and mark time while my mind wandered the trails and streams of my grandmothers home, rode my bicycle up and down my county road and fished the lakes and ponds of my youth. For over twenty years, my body and mind was accustomed to the mid-year break that is summer and even though my school days are long gone, I still have a twinge of that lustful urge to squander an afternoon in the movie theater while the asphalt boils under the summer sun. We swear to ourselves that we will not get old, that we will not become our parents and then it happens. We wake up one June and forget that this month used to be one of rest, reflection and even fun.

Not me, not this year. It has been a long six months for Karla and I and we are out of here for a week. Karla and I decided long ago that life is too short to work twelve hour days and never take the time to enjoy the fruits of our labor. I encourage all of you to take the time this summer to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Be kind to yourselves and celebrate the very good things that have happened to you over the past six months. Karla and I are off to Milwaukee to enjoy some good live music, baseball games, Lake Michigan and some of the very best people the planet has to offer. The bell has rung folks and its time for recess! I'll see you all from Milwaukee!

No comments: