Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Big Tent of Unity

I’ve been out a lot today and heard more than a few people talk about the results of last night. It was a truly historic election and one that I am proud to have been a part of. I love elections because they are one of the few times when we the people are reminded that we have the power rather than the powers that be. I love them because we the people, in order to form a more perfect government come together to vote for our candidate of choice, to make our voices heard. We stood in rain, in heat, in the cold and in line for hours to make our voices heard and that in and of itself is extraordinary. Nobody was shot, nobody was hurt and nobody went to jail while they exercised a right set aside by founder’s ink and guaranteed by solider’s blood. Elections remind us that no matter the policies broken, our system stands as strong as it did over 200 years ago. Now is the time for all of us to heal the broken ties between republicans and democrats, red states, blue states, christians and non-christians, gay, straight, black, white and rich and poor and come together as Americans. It is time to remember that Evangelicals are as much a part of this Country as gay people are. That the poorest man can be as much a part of this recovery as the CEO of Google. That we can support our troops and yet want them out of Iraq. It is time to come together as a country behind our new President. If we allow our differences to define us, a message of hope will become an unattainable dream. With that said, to all the Republicans, no good can from your emailing me that President Elect Obama is the Anti-Christ or that you hope that I’ll one day be sorry for my vote. To all the Democrats, this is no time to gloat, and to point and laugh at Republicans because they’ve lost or to call Evangelicals crazy or hypocrites.

We’re all in this together folks. Most of us are Christians. Christians have different beliefs among themselves. I deeply respect any person of faith so long as that faith doesn’t insist that I hate someone else in order to play. I do not respect anyone who hopes that this President fails simply to prove themselves right. On a final note, I have received some of the most racial emails I’ve ever seen in regards to this election. I don’t dislike those folks, I just feel sorry for their ignorance. Lets come together despite our different philosophies. Those differences are what make this Country strong. And finally, lets say a prayer for the President, the President Elect, all of our troops abroad and each new Senator and Representative that God give each of them wisdom and that HIS will be done, not ours. If we do that, we’ll be fine, regardless of who is in power.

Trialdawg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, along with you, am about sick and tired about hearin that Obama is the anti-christ. Or that he is Muslum and is going to take over the world. I just started deleting any email I got about him because I was tried of all of it. Vote for or against someone because of the issues not because of their race, or because of what you read in an email. I am glad it is over.